25 Aug 2011

iPolice

Headlines today in the Star newspaper is about a new smartphone application that enables the police to utilize their smartphone's GPS tracking system in case of an emergency. All that the user have to do is touch the green button on screen and the police will be alerted.

Personally, kudos to PDRM for trying out an innovative method of alerting the police by making use of smart phones. However, I am thinking on the practical side of this app. Mainly, how efficient would the service be? How would it affect the dispatch officer? 

I don't know about you, but in case of an emergency, I would be panicking! I think that is just a natural response and is part of being human; we freak out! So, would I be thinking clear enough to activate the app and press the green button? What if my phone lags or hangs while the app is starting up? I'll be crapping my pants, in my opinion.

Also, when a dispatch officer is sent, I don't think he would be able to know the nature of the emergency because all he would probably know is the location. So, how would he prepare himself in diffusing the situation? What if it's an emergency where someone found a bomb? What could he do upon arrival at the scene of emergency?

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here. I'll probably do a video on this, look out for it.


Tell me your thoughts; leave your comments either in the Shoutmix chatbox, or the comments link below.


Cheers~

No comments: